Becoming a SUN AWARE Certified Camp
Are you ready to become a SUN AWARE Camp? Certification is free. And it’s easy. In fact, you’ll probably discover you’re already practicing some, if not many, sun aware and sun safe behaviours. Here’s an overview of the certification process for prospective SUN AWARE certified camps:
- Register online in our SUN AWARE database.
- Set goals and create a plan of action to refine and enhance your sun safety practices. Learn how in our SUN AWARE Certification Guide.
- Ensure staff and counsellors complete a brief (10 minute) training session available online.
- Practice and reinforce the following sun safe behaviours with all campers:
- apply broad-spectrum sunscreen frequently – especially when sweating or going in and out of water
- cover up with hats, t-shirts, wraps, etc.
- seek shade and avoid the sun when possible between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- wear sunglasses
- Distribute information provided by Melanoma Network of Canada about sun safety and the SUN AWARE Camp Program to parents/guardians.
- Offer sun safe activities during camps.
- Submit the details of your participation at the end of your summer camp season (online, September 2016).
When you are ready, register online.