It’s important to get your summer look locked down before you head to the beach. Not only do you have to keep it fresh but you have to think of protecting your skin from those harsh rays. Lucky for you, we’re offering up the advice of four fashion-forward ladies to give you some summer edge. These city girls know how to rock the sun, sand and surf with flare. Their picks for the cool fellas and lovely ladies below!
Looks for dudes:
Joanne Cheung is a brand manager for the whimsical, Toronto-based boutique shop Easy Tiger Goods. Joanne’s look is always cool and versatile, as she likes the outdoors and bikes all around the city. Her picks for the fellas are two great accessories:
- Turkish bath towel: This hammam towel not only protects your back while bathing and lounging, but you can also wrap it around your shoulders as a cover up if you get cold or too much sun. Fashionable enough to be worn? Yup. These are super lightweight and super absorbent – forget your oversized beach towel at home!
- Oakley Frogskins sunglasses: Not only are these reasonably priced, but they are also seemingly indestructible and lightweight. Wear them playing sports or lounging, it’s all good. For added fun, the lenses can be mixed and matched in an array of colours. The sun isn’t just bad for your skin, a build up of UV damage can harm your eyes too. Oakley sunglasses are known for keeping your peepers on a safety lock – they are engineered to have full (yes, 100 per cent) UV protection.
Kaitlin Churcher is the manager and east coast buyer at denim haven Dutil Denim (Toronto/Vancouver). She bikes around the city, keeping it casual and easy, but likes a good fade or fray. Her picks for guys are two fantastic fits for a little beachcombing:
- Naked & Famous Slim Crew: This long-sleeved sweater in a striped navy “will keep you warm on those bonfire nights.” The “vintage slow-knit” process made from a cozy Japanese wool blend is what keeps the cut super light (only 10 oz.!).
- Levi’s 508 Regular Tapered Short: These babies are comfy and soft, finished with a light wash. Though they hang loose and low on the hip, they still have that slight taper through the thigh. Kaitlin suggests the Tangled Blues finish because of its sun-beaten look, with a light fade and ripped details.
Looks for ladies:
Jenna Kennedy is a vintage muse from the lifestyle brand Rockford Peach Fashion. She keeps it fun and bright – she isn’t afraid of patterns or testing out a new trend. For sunny days Jenna suggests florals:
- “Summer dresses and summer florals are perfect for celebrating the hot weather and showing off our fun and adventurous side.” Get some more punchy summer looks from Rockford Peach by checking out their super fun look book.
Stephanie Schuurman is one lady never caught without a good shade of lipstick. As a department manager at womanswear and lifestyle brand Anthropologie (Canada/US), she knows no fear when it comes to texture, colour and cut. To her, the ultimate beachy, babely beauty will stay on trend with:
- Elevenses Scalloped Lace Shorts: This flirty fit is perfect for those summer days, but can quickly transition to an evening look with a different top and the right kicks because of its lace overlay and intricate hem. Plus, “all shades of white are in right now and perfect for the beach, day or night.” White hot.
- Straw Studios Macramé Tote: This sweet little addition to the beach crew has three inner pockets and a secure snap closure – for easy access to your sunblock – as well as a long strap to sling over your shoulder in the sun.. In ivory, this little bag is just about up for any look you want to pull off.
Crawl the beach, build a bonfire, bike in the park or just hang with some ice cream; that sun is hot, but smart summer fashion is where the real fire is.